Wednesday 13 May 2020

Otford Saint Bartholomew Transcripts of Parish Registers

I continue my ramble along the Pilgrim's Way parishes as I transcribe parish registers for publication on the Kent Online Parish Clerks parish page for each parish.
Otford is a village which I have visited numerous times over the last 40 years since I left London to reside in Kent. I was fascinated to discover the remains of  a lost Palace of Henry VIII which is a scheduled monument and other old houses including a manor House. I'll begin this blog though by looking at the history of the parish church of Saint Bartholomew and then return to Henry VIII and the palace.
Originally Shoreham Parish was extensive and included Otford and Dunton Green. A chapel of Ease was needed and built at Otford at the end of the Saxon period and the beginning of the Norman influence;the nave is the oldest part of the building and dates from the 11th century with a tower added in  the 12th century. The present building is Grade 1 listed building and it's listing details the centuries of adaptation Listed building register.
The earliest register has an interesting story and as I progress the transcript series for the parish I will return to tell that.
For the present I am transcribing the burial registers as here as in other Pilgrims Way parish records there is traveller history. Travelling families often followed the Pilgrims Way as they fulfilled seasonal work. The Otford burials include seasonal workers and their children and convey the passage of workers.
I am grateful to Kent Churches you tube images of the Church and it's history.

Otford is on the River Darent as it flows north here past Shoreham and the river and the flood plain and marsh play an important part in the history of the  Lost Palace of Henry VIII detailed here. The present day remains of the Palace described n the 19th century burial register as Otford "Castle" by one curate give little idea of the real size of the Palace. This presentation and modelling convey much better what life was like in 1514 and the importance of the hunting ground.
 My transcript of the burial register is at Kent Online Parish Clerks Otford Parish page which includes other record sources for the parish Otford Burials 1813-1871.

© Henry Mantell Downe and Farnborough Online Parish Clerk 2013-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment